Pflugerville dentist offers general dental care for a healthy smile
Located in Pflugerville, TX Dr. Jordan Tucker offers comprehensive general dental care to help prevent oral health problems. Routine dental services maintain the health of your smile by helping to prevent the occurrence of major problems and addressing problems that do come up. General dentistry services including regular dental exams, which are an important part of oral and overall health care.
General dental care for a healthy smile
General dental care works to prevent, detect, and treat oral health problems. Regular cleanings and examinations are an important part of this care. During routine appointments, the hygienist uses specialized instruments to clean and polish the teeth. Even the best brushing at home can miss plaque or food particles in hard-to-reach areas. Plaque that is left behind hardens into tartar which is hard to remove with regular brushing. Food stains also become set into the teeth. Specialized dental instruments gently and effectively remove built-up tartar and stains. This cleaning by the hygienist also removes the unwanted bacteria to keep it from spreading throughout the mouth.
However, regular check-ups are not only for cleaning the teeth. The teeth, gums, and jaw are assessed for potential problems that could be lurking. X-rays may be taken to check the unseen structures of the mouth. Among other issues, your dentist checks for signs of decay, cavities, cancer, bone loss, and periodontal disease.
A dentist’s goal is to preserve the health of the oral cavity, teeth, and gums. Routine examinations are crucial for achieving that goal. Unless otherwise directed, dental appointments are scheduled every six months. Appointments are spaced to ensure that if problems arise, they are small and easy to handle. Potential issues can be detected early. The earlier problems are diagnosed and treated, the better the outlook. Your dental team’s efforts and your personal home oral health regimen help keep your mouth healthy.
Good oral health habits
Good oral health requires a team effort between you, your dentist, and your hygienist. The team works together to maintain the health of your teeth, gums, and mouth. Your role on the preventive oral health care team is to follow good oral habits at home. Following a healthy regimen includes:
- Brush at least twice each day. This removes plaque and bacteria that build up over the course of the day. Brush for two minutes per session and use a brush that is small enough to comfortably fit into all corners of the mouth.
- Floss daily. This removes food particles from between the teeth.
- Rinse with mouthwash or an oral irrigator. Rinsing with an oral irrigator or mouthwash helps remove bacteria from these areas.
- Replace your toothbrush or brush head regularly. A broken or bent toothbrush is ineffective so the teeth cannot be properly cleaned.
- Clean the tongue. This gets rid of bacteria and food particles and helps freshen the breath.
- Visit your dentist every six months or as recommended for routine examinations and cleanings.