Giving teeth the royal treatment with Pflugerville, TX dental crowns
You have a cracked tooth, or maybe a very large cavity. It’s too much for a filling, but you don’t want to lose your tooth. Fortunately, there is a dental restoration designed for just such a situation – the dental crown. Dr. Jordan Tucker offers a variety of dental crown options at Elite Smiles of Pflugerville.
What is a dental crown?
Dental crowns are essentially porcelain teeth, which are hollow in the middle. They fit over natural teeth, restoring oral health, functionality, and aesthetics. The root and core tooth structure remain intact, but it is encased in a thick layer of high strength material, usually porcelain. This type of restoration is sometimes called a tooth cap.
Versatile, convenient, and long lasting: the many benefits of dental crowns
The idea of crowning teeth is not new. It is a tried-and-true technique, which has been successfully used by generations of dentists. That is not to say advances in modern dentistry have passed by the simple crown. In truth, today’s dental crowns are better than ever, with lifelike appearance and superb longevity. Additionally, modern high-tech instruments facilitate exacting precision for an ideal fit with maximum preservation of tooth structure.
Uses of dental crowns include:
- Correct a misshapen tooth
- Repair a broken or cracked tooth
- Restore a tooth with severe decay
- Protect a weak or brittle tooth, especially after root canal therapy
- Support a dental bridge
- Replace a missing tooth (this is a special type of crown that is supported by a dental implant)
About the procedure
A standard dental crown usually takes two appointments, a couple of weeks apart.
- During the first visit, Dr. Tucker will prepare the tooth by removing any damaged or diseased material and shaping the structure for optimal restoration retention. He will take impressions, which are used to create your permanent crown. Last, a temporary restoration is added in order to protect the tooth while the dental laboratory creates your permanent crown.
- The second appointment is timed after your new crown is ready. Dr. Tucker will remove the temporary and try in the new one. If there are any concerns about the fit or appearance, adjustments are made. When you and the dentist agree that the crown is perfect, he will cement it in place.
Let us give you a reason to smile
You don’t have to live with the pain, inconvenience, and embarrassment of damaged teeth. Call us at (512) 273-7790 for an appointment.